15 October 2012

You Light Up My Life



So, maybe $4k for one lantern isn't in your budget?

(Confused? See my last post!)

My budget is tight as well.

Have I mentioned on this blog o mine that we are probably going to tear this house down in a few years?
Sounds crazy, and a long story, which this blog was supposed to tell, but I got sidetracked, disappointed, discouraged and depressed (more mood than clinical, if I may describe it that way?)

But, it's true. We plan to raze it.
So it may seem crazy that we spent any $$$ at all on it. 
But we are and we did and that's another story for another day, kids.

So we're forced to be creative with our lighting choices, which isn't so bad, really.
How can we get maximum punch and personality for minimum $?

A few years ago I started playing with old cheap tacky lamps from the thrift store, painting them, adding new shades and trims. I couldn't believe how completely put off I had been by a clunky 70's wood and wrought iron base and neglected to see the really cool lines on the piece. At least until it was painted white. 

So, here are some of my recent adventures with low budget design decisions for the new place.

Look at this old gold chandelier in my new master bedroom; I'm using it as a "before" pic as it's similar to the dining room fixture in my last house. Being on a limited budget while remodeling that house and not able to replace the old chandy, I decided to paint it white.


Old 70's chandelier


Old 70's chandelier painted glossy white




I liked the way my common traditional chandelier became more fresh and modern. Not bad for a $5 can of white spray paint. Whatcha think?


I keep seeing inexpensive outdoor lighting fixtures that have really good lines and I've been dying to use some of these indoors.

Here's one from Lowe's for under $50. Great shape. Great style.



We painted it red and here's a preview of it hanging in the new kitchen:




Like it? I'm pretty crazy about it.



I love this brown sconce, also from Lowe's outdoor lighting section. The shape is terrific.



And here are some (crummy) shots of it painted black in our new master bathroom. It will be great with our new black and white tile and light blue walls.








Nautical sconces are super trendy and pretty pricey.
I'm using this little white one in my guest bathroom.
It was $5.
Yes. Five. Dollars.
It's not as cool as the real deal, but it's a step up from the mirrored vanity light with round bulbs that scream "help I'm stuck in the 70's."
(I know some of you whipper snappers think you love the 70's but frankly, if you do, you weren't there! Just sayin'.)




I was dying to use this galvanized fixture somewhere. Only $25. 
Where can I put them?





And, instead of the pricey ($4k) lanterns that all the cool designers are using, I think this version would be fun to play with, hang from a chain, paint pink or red or chartreuse. I'd get someone who works with metal to help me take it off the base, but I think that would be pretty inexpensive. (Uncle Pete? hehe)





Isn't it great looking? It comes in several sizes, one of the quite large. I'd love to paint it lime and hang 2 or 3 of them in a row down the length of my breezeway / foyer.

Speaking of lights, it's time to switch mine off!
Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity for the painter to make yet more mistakes at the new house.
Oh yay.


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I love your red light fixture for your kitchen! (And your 70's comment made me laugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS, Esther! I'll tell T you like his work. heh heh. And THANK YOU for commenting! More opinions, please!!!

    ReplyDelete