20 June 2013

Our Much-Talked-About-But-Slow-in-Coming-To-This-Blog Kitchen Remodel

I have got to tell you, it's really fun to redo a kitchen.

I've been watching HGTV and reading magazines and looking at kitchens and pinterest and dreaming and planning for years. I enjoyed myself when we remodeled the kitchen in our previous house before putting it on the market. But our design decisions were based on what buyers want rather than on what I want.

So this was fun because it was for me. Us. But the hub said I could do what I wanted.

Also factoring into the design decisions was that we may tear this house down in a few years. That made some decisions more difficult, like how extensive do we renovate - and it made taking some risks  easier, because maybe it's temporary.

Here is the existing floor plan.
The refrigerator was in that blank spot above the stove (the square with 4 circles = stove!) The banquette is in the lower left corner. We ripped out the peninsula / island.





The Sink Wall during the sellers' moving out:


Here is a proposed elevation of the sink wall. We ripped out the upper cabinets and the fur down, added floating shelves, removed the pendant light, added V-groove paneling on the wall where the cabinets were, and painted the lower cabinets turquoise. New marble tile counters. New sink with swanky faucet. Same old dishwasher. 3 new red sconces instead of this pendant drawn here.

Cute Little Sketch of The Sink Wall:

The Sink Wall completed and The Stove Wall without the refrigerator and the stove:


The stove and the refrigerator are not in yet, which, frankly, makes it look much better, more open.
Ummm, someone needs some light bulbs.


This is the Sink Wall today:


I imagined these floating shelves with jumbly stacks of white bowls and mugs and antique ironstone pitchers. Funny thing is, I don't have any white dishes. And I bought a few turquoise and red items, but I'm not thrilled with this look. Maybe someday I'll sell most of my dishes and buy some plain white ones.

The Cabinet Wall and The Breakfast Nook in the real estate listing photo:






I love love love the walls, the old V-groove paneling. It's wood. It's real. I love that it changes directions here for who-knows-what-reason. Love it.
Love the banquette; it's so cozy and intimate, great for small friendly meals.
I do wonder if I should have ripped it out and added more cabinets and counter space. This kitchen sorely needs storage.
But it's sweet.

The Cabinet Wall and the Breakfast Nook today:



The Very Quirky Stove & Refrigerator Wall:


No doubt this tiled niche was built for an awesome old stove that I wish were still there. But this is just awkward and there isn't enough room for a larger refrigerator. And I need more cabinets.


 See all of that wasted space above the stove and refrigerator?


These new cabinets help a little. Those little weird appendages hanging down will straddle the microwave. And the two turquoise walls with marble tops will be on either side of the stove. Not enough room to make another cabinet. Shucks. It's awkward but at least gives me a spot to rest my wooden spoon and olive oil.




I know. I should have removed the cereal from the top of the refrigerator. But this is real life, people!

So, there you have it, friends. Our friendly little kitchen. It really was charming before, but it is a bit fresher and brighter and a lot more pleasant to work in now.

I'm still dying for double ovens, more counter space, more storage. But I'm also working on whittling down my belongings. I have enough plates to feed Custer's Army. Really.

Oh well, these things take time.

Dying to tell you about some of the cost-saving features of our remodel. And some of the unfortunate choices we made. And some of the things we learned. What we'll do again and what we won't. Coming soon!




2 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness!!! its so cute! i love the new look so so much. esp the breakfast nook. and the sink wall. and the standalone cabinet. ok so i love all of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I forget how much work you've don't until I see it here! Crazy how much y'all were able to open up the room just by a little paint (and getting rid of that weird oven/fridge wall)!

    ReplyDelete